Sunday, November 20, 2005

Done any Darning Lately?

Done any Darning Lately?


I realized the other day that nobody I know darns socks anymore. I can remember my mother darning socks. I even darned a few myself back in the day. We don't seem to do that anymore.

One of the things that most impressed me about Howard Dean was the frugality he and his family practiced in their personal lives. Not because they have too, but because it just makes sense.

When I drive past Wal-Mart or any of the local malls the parking lots are packed. So many people seem to go shopping as a form of recreation, rather than going because they need a specific item. Sadly enough most of those shoppers, especially at Wal-Mart, are fueling their own downfall. They're providing profits to companies who contribute heavily to the Republican party, or to companies who treat their workers unfairly with low wages and no health care benefits.

We all know by now that this Republican administration cares only for "the haves and the have mores". They've made that plain enough with the legislation they've passed and with their total abandonment of Katrina victims in the days following the devastation.

During the Great Depression my grandmother made jelly at home and then sold it on the streets to buy food for her four children. She had a favorite saying ever after: "Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do, or do without". I think Howard Dean lives that way. I believe it is an honorable way to live. Howard Dean practices good stewardship every day, and he has my admiration for it.

Susan D

Alternative Link