Sunday, October 26, 2008

I visited the labyrinth at the Chadwick Arboretum today. Glad I took the opportunity, as it was nice out during the day, and right now I can hear the wind starting to whip up outside.

One little piece of symbolism I've noticed about walking a labyrinth is that, at any given moment, it's not clear how far you are from the center. After the first few turns, you pass very near the center, but there will be many more twists and turns before you actually arrive there. Yet later on, when, by all appearances, you are as far from your goal as you can be, in reality, you're almost there.

I don't know how often it works that way in life, but at the moment it's comforting to entertain the notion that something good is closer than it appears.

Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment