Monday, September 01, 2008

Denver Democratic Experience-part 1

I am not a Democratic delegate but I act like one. So when my friend just missed representing IL, we decided to head down to the Denver Democratic National Convention this week and see what events we could sneak or beg our way in to.

You would think we would have been discouraged because the hotel rooms were all booked, the airlines shut down the week before our trip and I had just started a new job.—nope we weren’t

So this past Monday at 3:30 AM my local Democratic mentor, Bobbie and I headed to Denver. We decided we would rely on public transportation and the friendliness of the locals to find our way around city that I had previously driven around to get to the ski hills of Colorado.

On the bus platform at the airport we talked to an Ohio Obama volunteer who told us about openings at a Motel 6, so Bobbie, her daughter and I followed him like baby ducklings across town pulling our suitcases. As we booked our room, the manager told us we were lucky because rooms just opened up after scalpers had been caught selling them for 3 times the value on Craig’s list.

We had tickets two scheduled events, a party hosted by Sen. Durbin and a luncheon for the IL Democratic Women’s organization. So our challenge was to weasel our way into some of the big events. We were short one ticket for Bobbie’s daughter for the Durbin event but were told we could get her in if we volunteered at Durbin’s “Chicago in Denver Party.”

Never having been to a convention before I had no idea what I needed to pack in my carry-on. I have seen numerous conventions on TV so assumed I knew everything about convention dress. Surely my “Friends don’t let Friends vote Republican” T-shirt would be acceptable especially compared to the grey haired women dressed head to toe in American flag patterns and the tall skinny guy in an Uncle Sam stove-pipe hat.

So when I arrived at Durbin’s “Chicago in Denver” in my Obama/Durbin t-shirt with a blue tinsel feather boa I was sure to fit in. Durbin’s staffer smiled politely as the 3 of us arrived in our Democratic gear. Young volunteers arrived one by one each woman wearing a little black dress and each man in a suit and tie. I could see she had volunteers coming out of her ears and needed to quickly find a job for the three flashy boaed beauties. She created a job on the spot—she decided to have us be entrance greeters, or bouncers if necessary.

Actually this job turned out to be a blast. We held back the crowd until the official starting time, shooed away three skate boarders and told people they had to use the bathroom next door. I was really enjoying my power when a dark-suited gentleman arrived and insisted on getting through the gait to talk to Audrey. He left after I refused his request only to return five minutes later. He pulled me to the side and softly asked me what my named. “I need to talk with you Holly” while flashing his secret service badge. My knees went weak seeing myself locked up for some unknown deed. He said, “You must let me in so I can scout out the premises including entrances.”

So the tall erect man trailed the blue tinsel boa bouncer through the bar, kitchen and hallways. After clearing the site I asked if he could tell me why this was necessary. “All I can say is that someone very important from Chicago is coming.” As soon as he left I couldn’t wait to tell my co-bouncers and friends that Michelle Obama was coming.

The initial trickle of people turned into a large crowd totaling to over 2500 Democrats including over 16 Senators, dozens of US Reps and various other party big wigs. None of them could get passed the three of us without a friendly “Welcome to Chicago in Denver”-we were not unlike the Wal-Mart greeters.

Bobbie’s highlight was taking a pause from our duties to get a picture with Al Franken. I enjoyed guessing the names of the grey-haired senators I knew from C-Span. Durbin’s staffer spared us the embarrassment of not recognizing them by warmly greeting each elected official by name and leading them through the VIP entrance.

We were relieved of our duties after an hour to hang up our boas and enjoy the Chicago pizza, mini hotdogs and sliders. As usual it was a treat to see Sen. Durbin speak and I have to admit getting pleaser watching the 2nd City troop roast Rahm Emmanuel. Michelle Obama WAS the surprise visitor hot off her speech at the convention. She graciously took the time to warmly thank her fellow Illinoisan Democrats that have been supporters for such a long time. .

Watch for these scary encounters in Denver
1. fast low-water usage flush toilets
2. dry skin, chapped lips
3. chest pains from lack of oxygen
4. light rail trains crossing sidewalks

Comment Link

No comments:

Post a Comment