Thursday, December 07, 2006

Rejoice (and celebrate diversity)

Click here to light a virtual candle for Rene (Thankful's brother).

Here's the latest holiday design I came up with for our Cafe Press store.



I find the so-called "culture wars" with regard to saying "Merry Christmas" versus "Happy Holidays" disheartening. Where's the joy in that?

Perhaps you've heard that Walmart has "learned its lesson" and has officially decided to rename their Holiday Shop, "The Christmas Shop." (And some other things--click the link.)

Yay--my holiday *totally* kicked all those other holidays' a$$es. We sure showed them! We're #1! We're #1!"

You knew that was sarcasm, right? This "victory" for Christmas leaves me cold. It's counter to everything I believe the season is meant to stand for.

This Advent, as our family takes time out each evening to light a candle and ponder something about this season, I'm trying to include things from the different "holidays of light". It takes some effort, because when I was growing up, I never really learned much about traditions other than my own.

So, I'm trying to learn more. Here's something I wasn't aware of until recently--December 8 is celebrated by some Buddhists as Bodhi Day, and honors the enlightment of Siddhartha Gautama.

So, what else are people celebrating at this time of year, and how are you celebrating?

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment