Friday, July 28, 2006

A message from TeaTimeTim

From Renee: I just got home and saw the messages from Tim (thank you jc for bringing them over from the other blog) as well as people's expression of their desire to help. I don't have any ideas myself, and there's a lot I'm preoccupied with at the moment, but I figured that pulling the comments together into a single post that people could link to might be a good first step. If nothing else, it will allow people to share the news with interested parties more easily.

Natural Disaster

This morning my wife woke at 1:00 am and become concern for our horses. I horses are in a barn about 10 feet above the flood plane. I trudge out in the dark and rain, found a massive flood the likes that had never happen in recorded history for this area. Getting to the barn I found the houses in 6 inches of water, with a foot and half of rushing water right out side the door. The farther down the drive the deeper. My wife and I made hast clear out our garage, and then guided the hourses through 3 feet of water at times to the hide side where our steps are.

Horses will climb steps folks. They are safe but shaken in the uper barn/ Garage. We begin to salvage some hay, and saw dust which would could access through a back way. Then I realized that my truck was parked on the steep bank of our lower driveway. I found it had 6 inches in the cab and the back end almost submerged. It a steep hill. Lucky for me the truck started, and the 4 wheel was already locked in. Our tractor is a complete loss.

Then we realized that our neighbors were down about as low as our barn, so we went up the road to check on them. The fire departant was on sceen already but because their drive crossing the creek no one could get to them. I guided them around the back woods and we brought them to our house safely.

Then I realized that our Office is also down low.. So I drove into work. 15 minute normal drive took 2 hours as I mazed around to try and find a safe route. I found the river rising well behond the 500 year flood mark. We pulled servers and equipment all morning. Mean while you could hear people scramming from the appartmetns across the Grand River. They spent the night with boats and helecopters rescuing people.

I'm tired and in need of sleep, and I have a laul.

You folks can read about it here.

Update

The devestation of my property is imense. My horse Paddock is a debree field. Good news, I put fence post in deep, and most of my fence held. We found the dock that was on our pond in the horse padock. Two steel bridges we used daily to cross the creek are gone, and no where on our property. The list goes on.

I will be resigning my position of campaign manager. I must manage for my family now. Our house is the bright spot. Its still here, but we have no potable water. We spoke with FEMA and EMA from Geauga county and they were out to asses the damage. We are hoping for a low interest loan so we can have excavators come in and shore up our drinking supply, and purge our septic system.

This will be my last blog for awhile. We are safe, and no one died, and for that I'm greatful.

by TeatimeTim*in*NEOhio on Friday, 07/28/06 @ 01:24 PM

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment