Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Oscars

On my drive home from church this afternoon, and saw one of those church signs with the moveable letters--you know, the kind that allows people to put up a new, clever saying every week? One that will probably stay etched in my memory forever read,

You think it's hot here?
-God

Kinda like this...

Gotta love that Church Sign Generator site.

Well, today it was nothing as mean-spirited as that, but it still stayed with me. It read, "Lent: like spring training for Christians". I had to laugh--there are probably some people who can understand any given issue better if only you use a good sports analogy. I am definitely not one of them. It would be hard to find someone more sports-clueless than I am--perhaps someone who had been raised in a monastery, or out in a remote jungle without cable access. But the point is, whenever there is some *big* game that everyone on *all* the blogs is talking about, I'm the one who doesn't even know what kind of ball is involved in that game, much less which teams are playing.

The Oscars, like any other awards show, would *normally* be something not on my radar, something I couldn't even effectively feign some degree of interest in. But this year is a bit different, because this year the show is hosted by this guy.

Do you think he has "crushies"? I bet he does.

Stephen Colbert recently gave Jon Stewart advice in a piece on the ABC News web site. He's clearly "in character" as his persona from The Colbert Report:

Colbert: Oscars 'Could Be a Big One for Jon'
...
Advice for Jon: Okay, first off, do not look Russell Crowe in the eye. He sees it as a challenge. Two, get drunk, but not too drunk -- just fun drunk. Bring some hand sanitizer. A lot of people are going to want to shake your hand and you don't know where these stars have been.

Update: I guess it shouldn't surprise me that there are people as clueless about who Jon Stewart is as I just admitted I am about sports. So, a few links:

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
From Media Matters: Jon Stewart on Crossfire
Jon Stewart gives the commencement address at his alma mater, William and Mary

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment