Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Where Inner space Meets Cyberspace

By Subway Serenade

In my two previous posts, I discussed Fractal Geometry and its relationship to the eventual ascent of our species to Son Of Man. Today I would like to talk about the actual nuts and bolts of this ascent.

My generation has grown from watching crude Kine scopes of Milton Berle and The Twilight Zone, to watching our grandchildren play computer games with astounding interactive graphics that make me think, "Thirty five years ago you needed really good acid to see this kind of stuff!"

Just this week I was watching my friend playing with a very complex military style flight/battle simulator. It fully presented the illusion of being at the central point inside a sphere, allowing the player to "fly" (read "think") in any direction. When I asked what the age range of the game was, he said his eight year old nephew was on the game's third level. It actually made me wonder why such knowledge isn't considered subversive. I would figure folks would realize that for children to be using such complex graphic interfaces, there would be profound effects on both their dream states, as well as those parts of the brain where imagination happens. Nor do they realize that constant exposure to these graphic interfaces could eventually produce expansions
in awareness quite similar to those that occurred in the days when "Virtual Reality" came in sugar cubes.

Folks may recall, a few years ago, when several hundred children in Japan became ill while watching an episode of "Pokemon." The cause was linked to their watching a certain graphic sequence in the animation that was then removed from the episode. This should have been a heads up to the world. It certainly was for me. In the animated film "Madagascar" Alex the Lion gets shot with a tranquilizer and some of his hallucination is a 4th dimensional graphic generated by a computer.

What happens when five year olds imagine a 4th dimension?

Alternate link for comments