Monday, October 10, 2005

Report: Chicago DFA Fundraiser with Jim Dean

Holly*J was kind enough to post this detailed report on a Chicago DFA Fundraiser with Jim Dean in one of the threads last night. For convenience and easy linking, I've combined her four comments into one post, which you can read uninterrupted after a couple quick headlines...

From Jessica: Tonight on the MViMV Blog from 8-9pm EDT - Tara Liloia -- Democracy for America Technology Director -- The Next Generation of Online Organizing.

If you would like to encourage Paul Hackett to stay in the Ohio Senate race rather than allowing himself to be talked into bowing out now that Rep. Sherrod Brown has entereed the race, you can sign this petition. You can also read (and recommned, if you wish) petition diaries at MyDD and Daily Kos.

And now, on to Holly's report:
_______________________________
The fundraiser was held at Wilhelm & Conlon Public Strategies office located on the 22nd floor above the Chicago Civic Opera House. It was at the same location as the last two DFA events so I didn’t enter the office with an opened mouthed, country bumpkin look and I was able to park closer than Sears tower knowing now that I could still find my car without looking up at the tallest building to direct me back.

The magnificent city office still had the great view, and again had Jim Dean but this time I was not so distracted that I was unable to absorb what was happening and I actually had enough nerve to get into some excellent conversation with other attendees.

I was greeted by the wife of Atty. Conlon. She took my coat and gave me my nametag. I always appreciate nametags because I am horrible at names. I was early as usual so there were only a few in the office. I spotted Jim Dean from across the room and he immediately came up with an outreached hand, saying, “Holly, I am so glad you could make it.” I first thought, YES he really does remember me, until I looked down and saw my big nametag with HOLLY JOHNSON. Well I still want to believe that after 3 times, I might be imprinting some memory on Mr. Dean’s brain. I told him I was very happy to come and support DFA.

Remembering how Jim says he rarely talks to Howard, I asked him if he knew that he missed his brother by only one week and that Howard was having a DNC fundraiser in Chicago next Friday. Jim said yes and this happens regularly and that once events were scheduled on the same day in California and they had to reschedule at the last minute. He laughed and said. “But I know mine would be better attended than his.” DFI founder, Eric Davis, joined us and said he meant to bring a picture of a baby named Dean after Howard. Jim went on to tell the story how someone was so inspired by Howard Dean that they named their newborn baby, Dean. Jim laughed in his gravely voice and then added that they didn’t choose Howard because their last name was Sterns.

After Jim moved on to greet others, Eric, did a quick update on the present state of DFI and we knew we would have to catch up on more things before the night was over.

This event was billed as a high-end fundraiser with a minimal cost of $250. This was enough to intimidate me in to buying a new suit or at least have a good excuse to buy one. There was about an hour of schmoozing, which before politics, would have been the most painful experience possible for me. But knowing that these people felt the same way about Howard Dean and they understand the need to “Take Back Our Country,” it enabled me to be energized to meet these like-minded people.

The White Sox play-off game was in the background and it definitely distracted from the topic of conversation. An occasional hoop or howl could be heard. What was great about this group was the variety of ages. The youngest were in their mid-twenties and the oldest were in the late sixties. My first conversation was with a young woman who was newly hired by a competing law firm located across the street. She was interested in civil law and politics; encouraging indeed. We were joined by a few other young people who rattled off their Chicago addresses. Most were amazed that I came all the way from Rockford. Living out in the sticks usually does raise a few questions. I had a lively talk with a fellow baby boomer, antiwar activist and we discussed our frustration with the Democratic Party and its lack of policy on the war.

I can’t brag about the food and drinks. I remember my mom going to $100 plate Republican fundraisers in the sixties and the cookies and bottled water at this fundraiser was a poor second. My husband reminded me “It IS suppose to be fundraiser.” So I am hoping all the money went to DFA.

Familiar faces of DFIers such as Lali, and Sandra were a welcome sight and putting faces on people such DFI webmaster William M. was also enjoyable. They updated me about what their local DFA linkups were doing. This always inspires me to work harder at my meetup. Sandra updated me about Fran and Toscha and how they are stepping down from their previous active roll as organizers. I find myself missing these familiar activists. I know people’s lives change but I still miss their energies. I always hope there will be others ready to step up to take their turn.

Jim Dean stood in the middle of the room and gave his talk about DFA. He re-emphasized the DFA’s goals of supporting candidates, educating activists and supporting the growth of local grassroots groups. He talked about how he hopes DFA will continue to grow into all congressional districts and how amazingly the groups are growing strong in traditional Republican strongholds. He said that he knows there is debate between groups about supporting issues vs. candidates but he knows all areas don’t have upcoming elections and that groups have the choice of picking what is important to them. He told how proud he was of groups meeting with their local congressman. He then stated that some upcoming, targeted issues would include the Iraq War.

Jim then bravely opened up for questions, and people fired them away. The fellow antiwar activist who had attended the rally in DC stated her anger at DFA for not backing this rally. I had the same question myself. To tell you the truth, I can’t remember what the answer was but I was not real reassured. Others went on about their frustration with the Democratic Party in general. Jim was unable to speak for the DNC nor for his brother. Discussion moved on to the importance of coordinating efforts between the many activists groups. We understand the importance of people relating to people in small groups and how it creates bonds and loyalty to a cause. DFA community groups are an example of this.

Someone asked, ”How do we talk to our friends that are close to realizing that the current administration is destroying our country?” The conclusion was that there was no easy answer. The best choice was to be gentle and not overwhelm awakening people with evidence. Eric explained that conservatives are becoming aware that they are yearning for something they have lost. Conservatives think “reclaiming” is the way to a better America while progressives think “moving forward” is the best route.

Lt Gov, Pat Quinn joined us at the end. Illinois is lucky to have such a high- ranking supporter of grass-root involvement. He reaffirmed his support of Howard Dean and DFA. When asked what we can do about the unresponsive and resistant traditional Democrats to our efforts, he encouraged to just “be in their faces.”

As I took in fully, the group gathered in the room, it occurred to me what power was contained in this single room high in the center of Chicago. These people held the potential to positively impact the future of America. There were highly educated lawyers, wealthy businessmen, influential politicians, grass-root activists and up-and-coming young people. Chicago is not unique. There are similar groups of people in every average sized city in the United State. People are ready to become empowered.

After all these lofty thoughts, there was something very comforting in seeing Jim Dean make his exit carrying a plastic bag with his old tennis shoes sticking out the top of the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment