Saturday, October 08, 2005

Historical parallels

Wow--it certainly is gratifying to see this blog spring to life in the early hours of a Saturday morning! I need to head out for a bit, but thought it would be a good idea to put up a new thread. Looking to offer something with a little more substance than an open thread, I checked out some of the other blogs I frequent. Found something interesting by it's simple IF you ignore the complexity over at Street Prophets. Here is an excerpt:

It interests me how often there are parallels in periods of history. I've remarked, here and elsewhere, that I think (and fear) that we are reliving the late 1920's and early 1930's - the precipice of economic ruin and rising threat of fascism parallel that time. Similarly - those same years were a time of great struggle between progressive "social gospel" and fundamentalism in our society. The Scopes Monkey Trial and Fosdicks's epic sermon Shall the Fundamentalist Win"" seem to fit right into today's headlines.

Read the rest here.

No comments:

Post a Comment