Saturday, July 04, 2020

Independence Day

At 12:44 a.m. EDT the Moon will be full. 
There will also be a partial penumbral eclipse of the Moon
around the same time, visible from most of North America.

So, something happened on Friday...

"Our store is closed for the time being due to an emergency threat 
to the well-being of our employees"

On Friday, a person who was at our beloved general store here in Jericho 
threatened the employees there over the store's social distancing requirement. 
The owner promptly shut down the store, on a holiday weekend, losing much revenue, 
because he values his workers more than his wallet. We don't know when it will reopen.

I am shocked that this happened in our kind-hearted community at the store my family and I have loved for nearly 40 years. Locals will make sure the store remains solvent, as it is the heart of this community. And I certainly hope that the person who did this 
is caught, charged and gets the help they clearly need.

I wrote to Vermont Governor Phil Scott asking that he please make masks and social distancing mandatory in Vermont, so that it is expected everywhere and takes the responsibility  for the requirement off the shoulders of store owners and employees.  
I added that the leeway he gives now, 
leaves them and their communities terribly vulnerable.

When a plot to shoot up a school was foiled, he decided to enact gun laws.
I hope this jars him enough to issue a mandatory mask declaration.

35 comments:

  1. Good Heavens. The President's words can kill; today at Mount Rushmore he was ranting about the country being under siege from "far left fascism." (Per The Guardian.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Birdsong That Took Over North America [Click] “Since 2000, a strange new type of song in white-throated sparrows has spread across the continent at stunning speed.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting!

      To add to the strangeness, the White Throated Sparrow here (just SE of Ontario) sing more like

      Oh SWEET, sweet, sweet, sweet (one syllable at the end, sung thrice, rather than triple or double syllable)

      Also the second note is a tad higher in range than the second note of the recorded song offered in the article.

      I'm certain of this because it is my favourite bird call!

      Delete
  3. OHIO: As of Saturday afternoon, there have been at least 56,183 confirmed or probable cases in the state, 2,907 deaths, and 8,111 hospitalizations, according to the Ohio Department of Health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5.17%

      Hoping to be more timely with the % now that the gardens are in.

      Delete
  4. Trump’s Push to Amplify Racism Unnerves GOP [Click] May their nerves be reduced to trembling gelatin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Really helped me understand this movement. Including the fact it can be just as far left as right.

      Delete
    2. It left me confused at a higher level, but I remain rather bemused about the meaning of "meme," which I now gather is distinct from "internet meme."

      Delete
    3. I looked up the definitions and as far as I can tell internet memes are the subset of memes that are passed from person to person via the internet.

      Delete
    4. That's marginally more informative than knowing that the sonoran grblfx is the subset of grblfx's that live in the Sonoran Desert. . . [grin] BTW, I assume that "meme" is pronounced "meem" rather than "me-me." But I don't know that.

      Delete
    5. Was your point that you didn't know what the term "meme" meant? My understanding was somewhat vague until I looked it up. It is a belief or behavior that gains currency by being passed from one person to another. I think it is often used for something that is common throughout a given culture but these days it seems to be used for any common belief, especially one that has spread recently.

      I didn't pay attention to pronunciation, but my assumption is the same as yours.

      Delete
    6. Yes, it's pronounced "meem."

      I have to say, it's a word I greatly dislike for having no meaning in itself that relates what it's about the way "ballgame" and "television" do.

      Delete
    7. I haven't been able to figure out its meaning from context, and the definition is not very helpful to me.

      Delete
  6. VT: 1238/ 56 (+2/ 0)
    183 active/0 x 17days
    Recovered 999
    In Hospital = 1 (-0)
    Tests 69,397 (+1002)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spent more than 8 hours in the garden and hot everything done AT LAST!! Just now got today’s VT COVID numbers.

    We’re at Root*Center*Son’s house for a bonfire. Tons of fireflies! He lives atop a little hill and there have been personal fireworks all around us. Roasted good hotdogs. Lemonade. It sure feels like July 4th!

    All this and an eclipse to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was kind of surprised no one commented on the story out front. This has really rocked us here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old news in Chicago. Mostly in the early days, IIRC.

      Delete
    2. I don't follow your meaning, Bill. Can you say more?

      Delete
    3. Ohhh. I just thought “Good heavens” was about Mt Rushmore.

      Delete