Wednesday, January 31, 2018

January goes out on a Super Blue Blood Snow Moon



It was a bit hazy here.

Admittedly, I tinted my photo a little, so I'd be able to 
distinguish this photo from other moon photos I have, 
as being related to the 2018 Super Blue Blood Moon.

The reddish tone will come from the shadow 
of the Earth on the moon, during the lunar eclipse.

From NPR:
"Everyone in the U.S. will be able to see at least some portion of the eclipse, with the best views in Western states.

"On the East Coast, the eclipse will begin at 5:51 a.m. local time, but the moon will set before the end of the eclipse's totality. "The darker part of Earth's shadow will begin to blanket part of the Moon with a reddish tint at 6:48 a.m. EST, but the Moon will set less than a half-hour later," NASA says. For East Coasters, the best bet for good viewing will be at about 6:45 a.m. ET.

"It'll be easier to see in the Central time zone because the moon will be higher in the sky when the eclipse begins. The red shadow will be observable by 6:15 a.m. ET. In Mountain time, the peak will be at around 6:30."

8 comments:

  1. I woke up early and took a look at the moon at 0515 hrs; it was so faint that I had to look for a bit to find it. Then about an hour later, before breakfast, I looked again, and just a sliver was illuminated by the sun.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trump came out in favor of clean coal!?! I can't imagine anything more contrary to his general stance on everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He actually, at one time, believed they "washed" the coal go make clean coal.

      Delete
  3. Update following ungodly early (9 a.m.) doctor appointment: The infection is gone but the skin is not healing as well as Dr. Yen would like. So I have another ungodly early appointment Friday with the wound clinic.

    Further updates: Second pain-free day. The swelling is going down but isn't gone. When Dr. Yen compared my left leg to my right he asked if the left had really been that skinny. Yes, they'd always been the same before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about 9 AM being ungodly, but it certainly is rude! [grin] Neosporin ointment has always worked well for me, but on small areas. Petrolatum was originally sold as a medicine--which it was back in those days, since it was aseptic. In any event, keep on making progress, be it rapid or not, Bill. Glad the pain is gone.

      Alan

      Delete
    2. Hurrah for the pain being gone. Healing can really take time (I note that it takes longer the older we get). I take it the infection left before the inflammation. But wow, good for you getting rid of the infection so fast!! My uncle's cellulitis wouldn't quit for about 2 years.

      Delete
  4. Copying from one of my Facebook groups:

    Two young businessmen in Florida were sitting down for a break in their soon-to-be new store in the shopping mall.. As yet, the store's merchandise wasn't in -- only a few shelves and display racks set up.

    One said to the other, "I'll bet that any minute now some old senior is going to walk by, put his face to the window, and ask what we're selling."

    Sure enough, just a moment later, a curious senior gentleman walked up to the window, looked around intensely and rapped on the glass, then in a loud voice asked, What are you selling here?"

    One of the men replied sarcastically, "We're selling ass-holes."

    Without skipping a beat, the old timer said, "You must be doing well… Only two left."

    Seniors -- don't mess with them. They didn't get old by being stupid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't get to see the blue blood moon 'cause of the snow (which didn't show), but night before, it was gorgemous as I went to bed.

    ReplyDelete