Wednesday, May 07, 2008

In gratitude

I've been having another dry spell with regard to blogging. Part of the reason is my busy schedule. Another part is just some garden-variety suckiness--some of it related to life with teenagers. But the news of Mildred Loving's death reminded me to be thankful that I have the luxury of facing such ordinary challenges in my family life. Thanks to Richard and Mildred Loving, at least I don't have to worry about being arrested for being married to my husband.




Last year was the 40th anniversary of the Loving v. Virginia ruling, which declared laws against interracial marriage unconstitutional. I was aware of that anniversary, but somehow missed the statement Mildred Loving made at that time. It's definitely worth a read.

Anyway, here's to the trailblazers.

Haloscan comment thread