Friday, May 16, 2008

Frickin' Laser Beams!

I may or may not have mentioned that I have Google set as my home page. This is handy because I can log in to both Blogger and my e-mail from there. Also, it's a relatively innocuous page to have as the first thing I see when I get on the computer--I don't run a risk of being faced with a sad, horrifying, or maddening news headline the moment I venture onto the tubes. The upshot is that, if Google has a special treatment on their logo for a holiday or whatever, I see that right away. This morning I was greeted with this.

Ooh. Pretty. But what does it mean? I clicked, and it turns out the first laser was operated on May 16, 1960. So, Happy Birthday to frickin' laser beams.



Incidentally, I am not a huge fan of the Austin Powers movies. I kind of liked the first one, and didn't like the second. I think there was a third, but never saw it. But I did get a kick out of that scene, and think of it every time someone mentions laser beams.

By the way, I am interested in hearing suggestions people have of good movies to watch and fun board games to play with the kids, who are now 12 and 14.

Update: I've added a few new links to my shared items. Greetings from "The State of Perfect Balance".

Haloscan comment thread