Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Cocktails with a Liberal Congresswoman (and Introducing a Democratic Leader)

First of all I must confess. I am a political junkie. While others trail movie stars, I track down good liberal politicians. It all started when I attend a rally for Howard Dean 5 years ago. When he stood in front of a 20x40 foot American flag and stated he was going to take our country back—I became hooked. While some watch American idol, I watch congress debate bills about healthcare on c-span. If I could have a wish, it would be to tap the minds of respected liberal politicians.

Last Friday my wish was granted following an IL Dem. Women’s Convention. I was able to spend time gleaning the mind of liberal Congresswoman, Jan Schakowsky http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Schakowsky. Relaxing in a lounge chair, she comfortably talked with fellow democratic novices for over 2 hours.

The first comment was about the expensive $7.50 drink. I bet she knows the price of gas Pres. Bush. An insider perspective was what I was after. After talking about her bumpy private plane ride down she told about her constant traveling between DC and Chicago. I asked about whether Rahm Emmanuel would come out in support of Hillary or Obama (he won't because he is friends to both). She talked about the reunion of her 2 puppies after they were separated from birth to how people are surprised to see her when grocery shopping.

She discussed the down and dirty about being interviewed on Sunday morning talk shows. She said elected females rarely get on these shows because they feel they need to understand every aspect of the topic of the day and men just jump right in. Being an Obama supporter, she frequently has been across the table from Carville, her favorite to debate. “He hates debating women, it must be all those years living with Mary Matalin”.

What I appreciated the most about the interaction was
her genuineness in wanting to share with us newbies to politics. She truly wants to see more empowered women in office. In dark times like this, People like Rep. Schakowsky restore my faith in politics.

The following day my personal highlight was getting to introduce my favorite Senator-- Sen. Durbin. He made an unscheduled speech at the event so I was recruited at the last minute. My friend in attendance told me that he smiled broadly during the entire time I was speaking. That alone was a supreme compliment.

5 years ago I could never have imagined having an experience like this.--that is the power of Howard Dean’s inspiration.

Comment thread