Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Some thoughts on Hillary

In response to a diary making the rather asinine argument that Hillary's nomination is a "done deal" and we need to stop fighting it, Demetrius had a few things to say. I thought his comments were worth sharing here. -Renee

I actually really used to like Hillary. This was before she became a politician. She seems doomed to be the kind of politician I hate. Having James Carville's hand up her backside moving her mouth certainly doesn't help her AFAIC.

One thing I learned shopping for used cars is that if they know you aren't willing to leave without That Car you will never get the deal you want/deserve. If they know you are really willing to walk away the advantage shifts to your side. Democrats have been playing us that way for YEARS. I know I am going to work against Hillary in the primary. But, I'm probably part of a very small minority of Democrats who isn't sure, even, if he would vote for Hillary in the GE. As important to me as electing Democrats is - just as important is changing the political "game". Hillary is the antithesis of changing the political game. A shift is just beginning to occur. And, I'm not so bent on electing Democrats that I'm willing to turn the game back over to the old consultants and power brokers in Washington.

But, that's just me.

It was Bill that said "fall in love in the primary, and fall in line in the general." The problem is that they are not willing to let us fall in love in the primaries, anymore. Earlier and earlier we are expected to give up on what/whom WE want and support the Presumptive Nominee.

We get all this "It's a done deal...", "He/She's inevitable", "There's no point in voting for anyone else.", "There's no point in building anything but a shoe shop..." " crap before the primary. We got stuck with Kerry the last time and we bent over and took it for the Team. Never again!

Hillary seems far more interested in gaming political advantage than in doing what is right much of the time. She strikes me as lacking for real political courage. Either her judgment, or her commitment to principles I share, or both are cast into doubt by her voting record (...particularly giving a "known drunk" the "keys to the car".) I don't want another Bush - who runs every decision thru his/her political wing. I want a president who is more interested in good governance than winning re-election.

Hillary has learned the old political game. But, she doesn't seem to have learned good governance. If she has learned anything else, why won't she admit her mistakes (especially Iraq) and apologize for them? ('Cause some consultant advised her not to look "weak" or "wishy-washy"?) What do you call someone who is in possession of all the facts but is none the wiser? ...Other than "Dubya".

Haloscan comment thread

No comments:

Post a Comment