Saturday, May 05, 2007

Cinco de Mayo/Kentucky Derby Day

I had no idea the Kentucky Derby was today--but that just means I know as little about horse racing as I do about every other sport. But after visiting the official Kentucky Derby web site, I now know what's actually *in* a Mint Julep. I've never had one, but evoked the image of some sort of frothy blender drink. Possibly green. Um, no...

The Early Times Mint Julep Recipe

* 2 cups sugar
* 2 cups water
* Sprigs of fresh mint
* Crushed ice
* Early Times Kentucky Whisky
* Silver Julep Cups

Make a simple syrup by boiling sugar and water together for five minutes. Cool and place in a covered container with six or eight sprigs of fresh mint, then refrigerate overnight. Make one julep at a time by filling a julep cup with crushed ice, adding one tablespoon mint syrup and two ounces of Early Times Kentucky Whisky. Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost the outside of the cup. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
And today is Cinco de Mayo, which I also don't know a whole heck of a lot about, except that it gets the Pico de Gallo song by Trout Fishing in America in my head.

Except, having just visited their videos page, My Hair Had a Party Last Night has taken that song's place as the tune playing in my head over and over and over again.

Unrelated to Cinco de Mayo or the Kentucky Derby, but something I wanted to be sure to mention on the front page that I have added a widget for the Pretty Bird Woman House shelter fundraiser. Click here to read about the battered women's shelter in South Dakota and efforts to save it.

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment